These Are Just Some of My Favorite Things....



Apropros of nothing, I suppose....

This Post has nothing to do with the law. I guess it's for my 4 awesome kids, Dylan, Amanda, Charlie and Sam. Insight into Dad. I love you guys so much and am incredibly proud of you.

FAVORITE RECORD ALBUMS


See what I did there?  Record Albums

I have, ah, diverse tastes; progressive/art rock remains my favorite genre. And Marillion is, to me, the perfection of that genre.  Yet, I have over the past 20 years listened to Steve Earle, who I categorize as alt-country-rock, more than anyone else on this list.  Go figure!

Here we go, in order of preference....

1.  Marillion: Misplaced Childhood.  "There is no childhood's end."

I was walking in the park
Dreaming of a spark
When I heard the sprinklers whisper
Shimmer in the haze of summer lawns.
Then I heard the children singing
They were running through the rainbows.
They were singing a song for you
Well it seemed to be a song for you
The one I wanted to write for you


Lavenders blue, dilly dilly, lavenders green
When I am King, dilly dilly
You will be Queen

2.  The Beatles: White Album.  "Don't pass me by, don't make me cry, don't make me blue."


At twelve o'clock a meeting round the table
For a seance in the dark
With voices out of nowhere
Put on specially by the children for a lark.

Cry baby cry
Make your mother sigh
She's old enough to know better
So cry baby cry cry cry cry baby
Make your mother sigh

3.   David Bowie:  Ziggy Stardust.  "Don't tell your father or he'll have us locked up in fright." 


Pushing thru the market square, so many mothers sighing
News had just come over, we had five years left to cry in
News guy wept and told us, earth was really dying
Cried so much his face was wet, then I knew he was not lying
I heard telephones, opera house, favorite melodies
I saw boys, toys electric irons and T.V.'s
My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people
4.   David Bowie:  Honky Dory.  "Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow."



Will you stay in our Lovers' Story
If you stay you won't be sorry
'Cause we believe in you
Soon you'll grow so take a chance
With a couple of Kooks
Hung up on romancing
5.   Steve Earle:  Jerusalem.  "But it's always best to keep it in mind that every tower ever built tumbles, no matter how strong, no matter how tall."

Four score and a hundred and fifty years ago
Our forefathers made us equal as long as we can pay
Yeah, well maybe that wasn't exactly what they was thinkin'
Version six-point-oh of the American way
But hey we can just build a great wall around the country club
To keep the riff-raff out until the slump is through
Yeah, I realize that ain't exactly democratic, but it's either them or us and
And it's the best we can do
 
6.  Marillion:  Script for a Jester's Tear.  "So here I am once more, in the playground of the broken hearts.  I'm losing on the swings, I'm losing on the roundabout..."


The fool escaped from paradise
Will look over his shoulder and cry
Sit and chew on daffodils and struggle to answer "Why?"
As you grow up and leave the playground
Where you kissed your prince and found your frog
Remember the jester that showed you tears, the script for tears

So I'll hold our peace forever when you wear your bridal gown
In the silence of my shame the mute that sang the sirens' song
Has gone solo in the game
I've gone solo in the game, but the game is over
7.  Genesis: Trick of the Tail.  "Am I wrong to believe in the city of gold that lies in the deep distance? (he cried)" 

And broke down the door of the cage and marched on out.
He grabbed a creature by the scruff of his neck, pointing out:
There, beyond the bounds of you weak imagination
Lie the noble towers of my city, bright and gold.
Let me take you there, show you a living story
Let me show you others such as me
Why did I ever leave?

They've got no horns and they've got no tail
They don't even know of our existence
Am I wrong to believe in a city of gold
That lies in the deep distance, he cried
And wept.


8.  The Beatles: Hey Jude.  "For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool, by making his world a little colder." 

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

Hey Jude, don't be afraid
You were made to go out and get her
The minute you let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it better

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder
 

9.  Michael Franti and Spearhead: Yell Fire.  "And you never, ever, ever make a deal with the devil.

A revolution never come with a warning
A revolution never sends you an omen
A revolution just arrived like the morning
Ring the alarm we come to wake up the snoring

They tellin' you to worry about the future
They tellin' you to never worry about the torture
They tellin' you that you'll never see the horror
Spend it all today and we will bill you tomorrow
Three piece suits and bank accounts in Bahamas
Wall street crime will never send you to the slammer
Tell all the children in the arms of their mummas
The F-15 is a homocide bomber

TV commercials for a popping pill culture
Drug companies circling like a vulture
An Iraqi babies with a G.I. Joe father
Ten years from now is anybody gonna bother?

Yell Fire, yo, yo, yo
 
 
10.  Steve Earle:  Guitar Town.  "I'm gonna get outta here someday."


Someday I'm finally gonna let go
'Cause I know there's a better way
And I wanna know what's over that rainbow
I'm gonna get out of here someday

Now my brother went to college cause he played football
I'm still hangin' round cause I'm a little bit small
I got me a 67 Chevy, she's low and sleek and black
Someday I'll put her on that interstate and never look back



 
HONORABLE MENTION:  (the list could be long; I have excluded albums from the Beatles, Marillion, Steve Earle and David Bowie - they all are nonpareil): 

* Blue Oyster Cult: Agents of Fortune

*  Cracker: Cracker (debut album) and Kerosene Hat

*  Los Lobos:  Just Another Band from East LA (compilation); 

*  Spearhead:  Home

*  Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow:  Rainbow (debut album); 

*  Uriah Heep: The Magician's Birthday; Demons and Wizards

*  REM:  Murmur

*  Genesis: Wind and Wuthering

*  Pearl Jam:  Vs.

*  Triumvirat: Spartucus;

*  Grateful Dead: Touch of Grey

*  Neil Young:  After the Gold Rush

*  Led Zeppelin:  III and Physical Graffiti;

*  Yes: Close to the Edge;  

*  Pink Floyd:  Wish You Were Here and Animals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have read this article with the title These Are Just Some of My Favorite Things..... You can bookmark this page URL http://clapclapclappp.blogspot.com/2013/12/these-are-just-some-of-my-favorite.html. Thanks!

No comment for "These Are Just Some of My Favorite Things...."

Post a Comment